Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tread lightly

Send anyone who is interested in how to commute in traffic to a workshop Wes and I are conducting Saturday, 11am, Farm Market near the ice skating rink at MacArthur.


I admit that I have not commuted to work in years. I live a mile from the job, so gearing up bike and clothing for such a short ride that will not give me a workout is not appealing. Plus, I carry books and would need to change clothes. . . dang, I am making excuses! I can at least commute on dress down Fridays. I am suddenly motivated to ride to work tomorrow.

I did not have a car for a few years in my early 20's. I biked to work and to TCC as I worked on a 2 year degree that took me 4 years to complete. I remember best the cold, but secondly the pride of self-sufficiency and accomplishment.

I am not expecting a great turnout since the workshop is not listed on Fair Trade Festival's calendar. We have tried to advertise with flyers. Both Wes and I have a vision of a more dynamic cycling population in Norfolk. This is the beginning of more workshops and strategies for riding in town.

ALSO, Critical Mass Norfolk is this Friday, Nov 30.

AND, Norfolk's second ever Alley Cat race is happening Friday, December 14.

4 comments:

Jimmy D said...

Dec 14th is a friday, my girls birthday.

Liz Schleeper said...

opps, fixed, thanks for that.

Nerf said...

Okay....what's the skinny on the alley cat?! Maybe I'm just not getting the info through my thick head, but where/when?!

Anonymous said...

I admit that I have not commuted to work in years. I live a mile from the job, so gearing up bike and clothing for such a short ride that will not give me a workout is not appealing. Plus, I carry books and would need to change clothes...
Let me ask why you would need to change cloths if its only a mile away. If not riding, hell just walk, let me guess you would have to carry differnt shoes then...
Stop making excuses, keep your car parked and your tires moving.